Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Comfort Zone


Buford and I are spending some quality time with our friend N (of N & N) at her home. Our days consist of couch lounging (B caught in the act above), internet research for future work/life opportunities, connecting with friends via chats and emails, long walks, mucho milk coffee, and movies in the evening in the home theater of N & N. All very good for the soul.

I think about what kind of people I wanna surround myself currently. Over the past few days and weeks I have learned that there is one category of people that zaps all my energy and kills my spirit. When I interact with those kinds of people I am full of doubt, I feel small and silly, incapable and unprofessional. Who are those people? They are part of an illusive group of naysayers, pessimists, "normals", stay-in-the-boxes, that's-not-how-it's-done...!, are-you-crazy?-sayers, and just generally low energy people. They don't believe in realizing dreams, taking leaps of faith, or following the inner voice (sometimes against any reason).

Thing is, I am in Sweden because I listened to that inner voice. I have learned to listen to it many years ago when I moved - against all logic - from a nice apartment in a nice area in Zurich (where I worked at the time) to an incredible home on the lake 40km away from work - but close to nature. It made no sense to my bosses, the roommate I left, my family, etc. - and it was a crucial step for me to move closer to myself. Cause I found that I could actually listen to myself out in that magical old house. And I did. Which is why I left my job as a department leader in a travel agency on a whim (it seemed - really, it probably had been brewing inside me forever). And started to trust my gut. No matter what. That same gut has gotten me here... 10 years later. That same gut gave me to courage to adopt the amazing bundle above, that now offers me strength, and laughs, and exploration - every single day.

Maybe that gut got me here to reconnect with my European roots. One wouldn't believe this, but it took incredible courage for me to come back to "my continent". More courage than continuing the fight to hold on to the US.

Sometimes I wonder what my gut was thinking...?! Particularly when I momentarily side with the naysayers. But I have hope that it felt an opportunity. Currently I am kinda giddy with one opportunity. Wanna hear about it....?

About ten days ago N called me around midnight with the following words: "Hey Marlies! Sorry to call you this late, but I just had this incredible idea on how you could make money with your skills in a beautiful place!"... "Ahem, go on, please...?" Hope creeping up - again. "There is this guy up north that...." blablahblah...

N promised to call that guy - lets call him F - the next day to see if he was interested. They interacted and I learned a little more about F. He has a moose farm. He is a business owner. He is a do-er. He has started a home for youth of sorts. He dreams about wilderness therapy ever since he heard about it from my past team mates (but thought they were not committed enough). He has a vacation home rental for mostly German clients. And so on and so on.

Yesterday N met F for some other business reasons and brought me up in conversation. And, guess what? F is very interested in meeting me. N said that he may have ways to tie me over this winter with my snowboard teaching talents (I did that for close to ten winters), and my German, all-the-while I may be working with him on creating a wilderness therapy program up north. Hmmmm, gut, just tell me: Is this why we are here? To me that sounds most brilliant.

And don't you think Beefy would love some moose pals??? I sure do.

So, yet another opportunity on the horizon. When will I know more? When F returns from La Gomera (about two weeks). He's down there (over there?) to check out some places cause he wants to row across the Atlantic. Yup, under his own power. Crazy? Well, just right for me.

That's my whole point. I need people around me that DO stuff. That dream and realize stuff. Can't handle the naysayers any longer. They're poison for my spirit. Nay to the naysayers! Yay to comforting crazy, spirited, optimistic adventurers!!


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment