Monday, December 7, 2009

December Days.



Buford and I left the comfort of N & N's home over the weekend and exchanged it for some time outside. With the help of some kiddos we baked bread in a sweet oven that I kind of wanna adopt and played outside. Beef and I even got to sleep in a tiny shaggy hut and eat sausages and drink Julmust. I am told that I am becoming a Swede....

After ten days of bliss at my friends refuge B and I finally made it back to Paradise today. We were greeted by our new couches and DVD player that we knew about (our neighbor S had given them to us as she moved out) and a million other things. It took me a while to figure out whether all the clutter I found was actually a good thing or just a burden but I figured out that it actually is quite the blessing. While I basically doubled the number of things I owned while I was gone, I also have new luxuries. Here some examples: I am now using actual dish soap versus my camp suds. I now own a few beers in my otherwise very empty fridge. I now have rice. I also have lots of yeast for baking. And new spices. And another lamp to brighten yet another room (very much needed as it's pitch black at 4pm now). And more plates. And another pan. And a thingy to dry my dishes. And a pair of binoculars. And a new B bed. And a comforter. And more candles (see light issue above). And many other small things that make my life more diverse. Kinda like an early Christmas... :)

I also have another SWEET option. Remember how I talked about opening a home for asyl-seeking youth? Get this: N just called (yup, I better start paying him something for making me aware of all these opportunities) and told me about an ad he had seen in the newspaper. A community south of here is opening such a house in April 2010. They are planning to take in eight boys between 16 and 18 for starters. They are looking for a director and employees. Applications for the director are due on December 20th and those for the employees in January. The director job asks for the following:

* Has an education with focus on social or educational work, at least 3 years full-time study
* Has many years experience of similar work
* Is good at planning, organizing and communicating
* Has good leadership skills
* Is driven and focused
* Has a positive view of human beings and sees opportunities instead of problems
* Is flexible and comfortable with managing tasks independently
* Enjoys working in close collaboration with our local residents, traders and colleagues

Check..... check.... check... check... check......... check!... check.... and... check.

The employee job asks for the following:

* Trained as social worker or educational/social education/experience we consider equivalent
* Has experience working with children / young people
* Is used to crisis management
* Has the ability to see and support the individual's own resources
* Has good empathic skills while s/he has the courage to set boundaries and be consistent
* Has good interpersonal skills and communication skills
* Has good organizational skills
* Enjoys working in close collaboration with our local residents, traders and colleagues
* Has a B license
* Has basic computer skills

I'll make it short: CHECK all.

I am sooo applying. N offered his and N's help to do it right. Make it Swedish, you know.

Question is: Do I have to be the director to ensure that Beefy can come?

They are highlighting their interest in hiring from a diverse applicant pool.



Sounds like.... this is yet another way my life could unfold.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Don't know what happened but check out how there appears a translation into Swedish when you hover with your cursor over the parts of my post that are "highlighted" with white backgrounds... - only, with some fields it's not correct. Hope you'll see it as creative :)

    ReplyDelete