Friday, January 22, 2010

Spark.

I am attempting to place both my feet firmly on the ground these days... while I do that I wanna deliver to you reason # 37 why I need to move Up North (do I actually have to convince you anyways?).

Well, reason # 37 is the spark. On the pic below you're seeing sparks (no pun intended here ;) ...) parked (and cabled to) a bike thingy... you know the place where you would attach your bike - if it was summer or something.

They're used much like bikes... to my endless excitement the elderly population seems to make heavy use of them. Aren't they brilliant? I'll attach a Wikipedia link for your Swedish amusement.


I haven't had a chance to try one yet... but it won't be long, I can promise you that much.

+++

Other news today....: In addition to Rhuben (whom I am doggy sitting) and Buford I unknowingly had a third pet under my care these last few days. Earlier today, I was happily finishing up some salad I had bought Up North eight days ago. That's when I saw.... and this is when my vision got blurry for a second... a snail (!) meander onto the rim of my plate. Yikes! This kind of stuff gives me the shivers... I almost ate a living frickin' snail!!! Once I got over the initial shock I shifted into intrigue however - how did the little wo/man make it this far?? I bought the (packaged) salad (don't even think it was organic) during the drive between Stockholm and Up North. I opened it the next day and stored it in the fridge ever since (minus during the drive back two days ago). Then it went back into the fridge in Paradise. And today on my plate. Gulp! What a tough little bugger, huh? Well, I guess s/he had plenty of salad to snack on.

Here's the thing though... I probably killed him/her in the meanwhile. This was not my first "snail in salad" episode, however, usually they happen in summer. When the obvious thing to do is to eat the snail... ahem.. I mean deliver it outside. Several thoughts crossed my troubled mind today... should I: Feed it to the dogs? Put it down the toilet? Put it outside? Smush it with my fork? Yeah... I know - all those options lead essentially to the death of the lil' tough guy/gal. So I did what any reasonable person would do. I asked my community. Via Facebook. And stored him on the balcony (including plate, minus fork) while waiting for responses. The responses took a while... (hey, I could blame the souls who didn't respond pronto!). By now there is a little sample of answers and it sounds like people are voting for a) eating him/her, or b) holding him/her as a pet (terrarium included). I actually haven't checked yet but I believe that I passively chose to kill him by letting nature take its course by moving him into the outside part of my home. Sorry, snail. :(

+++


Dear Lil' Tough Snail (bugger),

I am sorry that I killed you after all you have gone through. I hope that death was quick and painless. I may or may not dream about you. You may or may not be HUGE and SCARY in that (those) dream(s) [Shit!! So much for peace and quite at night]. I promise I will do better next time. In the meanwhile I will do my best to take care of the two dogs that I have on my hands. Really, they're all I can handle in addition to my life being turned upside down once again. I hope you'll understand.

I also hope your life was blissful.

Hey, you're probably one of the farther traveled snails out there! ;)

Don't hate. Please.


Love ya,

Marlies

2 comments:

  1. omg, you have to tell us if you have snail dreams. freaking hilarious.

    so when you try the spark will you be in or behind the seat?. and who will be where you are not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall... ;)

    I guess I should have explained the positioning on the spark, huh? Most of the time I saw them used by one person (who always stands on the back and pushes with one foot). Think dog sled without dogs. Several had their grocery bags on the loading area. I am visualizing Beefy pulling me though... you know... making him earn his kibbles :)

    The Wikipedia link shows a person transporting a child. Endless possibilities as far as I am concerned.

    Happy Spark!

    ReplyDelete