Wednesday, June 17, 2009

New Old Keyboard (written on 6/16/09)

So, I moved to Sweden. Others may have realized earlier that that’s quite the move. I realize it now. There are different keyboards here. I believe they are the ones that I grew up with. Or better, I have learned to type on. I am old enough not having grown up with a keyboard. However, my US American laptop is oddly misplaced here. (I can relate). Same is true with my phone. It apparently doesn’t work here. So I had to buy a new one. Turns out we struggle communicating. My phone and I, that is. Of course it came in Swedish. With a Swedish användarhandbok and a begränsad tillverkargaranti. And no English translation. It took me a while to change the phone’s language. However, as soon as I dared to call a friend in the US, I heard a long, long, message. Once again, in Swedish. No clue what the automated lady voice said. But a connection eventually was established. I heard the announcement of an answering machine in Minnesota. And suddenly felt far, far away from my creature comforts.

Luckily, my new friends here welcomed me with gifts: A “new best friend” (a furry white moose with very bendable legs), a couple of local beers (one is in the freezer getting cold for me as I type), a box of Moose Droppings (Swedish chocolate), and lots of maps to get and stay oriented. Couple all that with a home, adorable kids, a dog (we’re getting there), family meals and lots of conversations.

Tomorrow I’ll brave the big city again and hit the Migrationsverket. That’s where I’ll learn which passport to use to move closer to getting a personnummer and access to all the amazing Swedish benefits. Wish me luck, please, I may need it.

But first, I’ll take that beer out of the freezer, enjoy it and read some more. Here’s what’s on my bookshelf: Sweden – a pocket guide. Facts, figures and advice for new residents. Integrationsverket.

No comments:

Post a Comment