Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Moose for Dinner (written on 6/14/09)


I am completely enthralled by the beauty of this place. There are incredible forests around here… Even in the so-called “populated” “south” (everything south of Stockholm is considered south – check out a map, that’s crazy). Love the biological diversity that’s surrounding me. There are larches, birches, firs, pines, poplars, and everything else that I can imagine… Greens and blues as far as my eyes see.
We also learned some rules yesterday: If you want to treat yourself to dinner in a restaurang in these small communities you better get ready by six pm. We ended up touring the island following Fork-and-Knife signs until 8:30 pm to no avail. But… we saw a moose in the process. This, of course, was an absolutely incredible experience for all of us. Both my parents had never seen a moose before and I had only seen a couple from afar in Canada several years ago. Yesterday evening we saw one about 8-10 yards from our car! And the girl (I believe) literally posed for us till we got her photo taken. What a beautiful moment. If I didn’t already live here, I’d do so pronto!! Oh, and, yes, we had rice and lentils and cheap beer for dinner at our little cabin in beautiful Tyrisloet. Come visit.

Photo will follow when I have my sh&*(t together...

No comments:

Post a Comment